Last-gasp Kelantan through to cup quarters; Selangor stunned

Defending Malaysia FA Cup champions left it till deep into injury-time before recording a 2-1 win over Sabah in their second-round clash on Tuesday.

The Red Warriors had taken the lead at the Sultan Mohammad IV Stadium on the stroke of halftime after the opposition defence had failed to clear their lines, allowing Badhri Radzi to flick a pass for Mohamed Shawky to sweep past Irwan Jamil.

However, the visitors refused to be deterred and pulled level in the 56th minute after Kelantan goalkeeper Syazwan Yusoff could only parry A. Varathan’s header, leaving Rosdin Wasli with a simple finish.

But just when it looked like extra-time was on the cards, the hosts grabbed a 95th-minute winner when Mohammed Ghaddar embarked on a terrific run before feeding Ahmad Fakri Saarani, whose shot was too powerful to handle for Irwan and allowed Ahmad Shakir Ali to fire home on the rebound.

Awaiting Kelantan in the quarter-finals are PKNS FC, who beat Terengganu 2-1 at the MBPJ Stadium despite playing over half an hour with ten men.

It was the hosts who took a 37th-minute lead thanks to a Patrick Ronaldinho Wleh strike, only for Ismail Faruqi Asha’ri to equalise for the Turtles four minutes into the second half.

PKNS were then dealt another setback in the 56th minute after they had Abdul Ghani Rahman sent off but ten minutes from time, Karlo Primorac popped up to score what ultimately proved to be the winner.

In Tuesday’s early kickoff, Selangor fell to a shock 1-0 home defeat to ten-man Sarawak.

The Super League new boys edged ahead in the 33rd minute after a Ronny Harun long throw eluded almost everyone inside the box, allowing Zamri Morshidi to sneak in at the far post and send a header past Farizal Marlias.

Sarawak were however dealt a real blow a minute after the hour mark when goalkeeper Sani Anuar Kamsani was sent off after he fouled Fitri Shazwan Raduwan outside the area, although they managed to keep the Red Giants at bay and hold out for the win.

Premier League outfit Kedah put in an impressive display to claim an emphatic 4-0 win over Perlis at the Darul Aman Stadium.

Leading by a goal at the break thanks to Billy Mehmet’s 44th-minute opener, the hosts doubled their lead eight minutes after halftime when Adam Griffiths found the back of the net.

The result was put beyond doubt in the 63rd minute when Baddrol Bakhtiar added a third but just for good measure, Khyril Muhymeen Zambri netted another in injury-time to cap off a fine performance from David Mitchell’s charges.

Elsewhere, second-half strikes from Chad Souza and Bobby Gonzales handed PDRM a 2-0 victory at PBAPP FC, while Zah Rahan Krangar scored the only goal of the game six minutes from time to help FELDA United beat Sime Darby 1-0 at the Majlis Perbandaran Selayang Stadium.

Tuesday’s 2014 Malaysia FA Cup Second Round Results

Selangor 0-1 Sarawak

Kelantan 2-1 Sabah

Sime Darby 0-1 FELDA United

Kedah 4-0 Perlis


PKNS FC 2-1 Terengganu


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s