Kelantan down South China; Ninh Binh claim Group G lead

Malaysia Super League giants Kelantan claimed their first points of their 2014 AFC Cup campaign after claiming a 2-0 win over Hong Kong’s South China in Group G.

Having been handed a 5-3 defeat by Yangon United in their opening game, the Red Warriors entered Wednesday’s clash at the Sultan Mohammad IV Stadium determined to get their campaign up and running.

But after failing to find the breakthrough in the first half, Kelantan finally edged ahead in the 72nd minute Wan Zaharulnizam netted his second goal of the tournament with a fine volley.

Seven minutes from time, the win was secured after Badhri Radzi played a fantastic through-ball for Mohammed Ghaddar, who raced towards goal before finishing past Yapp Hung Fai.

V.League 1 outfit XM The Vissai Ninh Binh moved top of the group after recording a 3-2 win over Myanmar’s Yangon United at the Ninh Binh Stadium.

It took the hosts 12 minutes to open the scoring when Dinh Van Ta struck with a long-range effort, before Romanian forward Petrisor Voinea doubled their tally five minutes later when he converted a Tran Manh Dung cross.

Yangon managed to pull one back in the 27th minute after Cesar rifled home a shot from the edge of the box, only for Ninh Binh to reclaim their two-goal cushion thanks to Van Ta’s penalty just before halftime.

However, despite putting the hosts under plenty of pressure in the second half, Yangon were just unable to get back into the contest until a minute from time when Cesar struck his second of the evening, although it ultimately proved to be too little too late.

Over in Group H, S.League champions Tampines Rovers were handed a second straight defeat in the competition after being beaten 3-1 at Nay Pyi Taw of Myanmar.

After Michele Di Piedi had fired the hosts ahead at the Paung Laung Stadium in the 39th minute, Jung Yoon-sik scored on the hour mark to put them firmly on control of the tie.

The South Korean midfielder then doubled his tally seven minutes later to make sure of the three points, although Aleksandar Duric did manage to grab a consolation for the Stags in the 70th minute.

Group leaders Kitchee of Hong Kong were unable to make it two wins from as they threw away a two-goal lead in a 2-2 draw at home to I-League side Pune.

Centre-back Fernando Recio gave Kitchee the lead a minute before the half-hour mark, before fellow Spaniard Luis Belencoso struck to make it 2-0 in the 43rd minute.

Nonetheless, Pune produced a stirring fightback after halftime and pulled one back in the 55th minute through a Mirjan Pavlovic strike, before on-loan midfielder Gabriel Fernandes netted 16 minutes from time to earn them a valuable point.

Wednesday’s AFC Cup Results

Group A

Ravshan Kulob 1-2 Safa

Group C

Al Wahda 1-3 Al Shorta

Al Qadsia 2-0 Al Hidd

Group D

Erbil 6-0 Alay Osh

Riffa 2-0 Shabab Al Ordon

Group G

XM The Vissai Ninh Binh 3-2 Yangon United

Kelantan 2-0 South China

Group H

Nay Pyi Taw 3-1 Tampines Rovers

Kitchee 2-2 Pune


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s