Leaders Terengganu stunned; Selangor down Kelantan

Malaysia Super League leaders Terengganu remained top of the table on Saturday evening despite falling to a shock 3-2 defeat at Sime Darby.

Nazrul Kamaruzaman fired Sime Darby ahead at the Selayang Stadium after just six minutes, but the visitors hit back in the 23rd minute through a strike from talismanic playmaker Ismail Faruqi Asha’ri.

However, Fazrul Hazli Kadri restored the hosts’ lead on the stroke of halftime, before Farid Ramli added a third in the 50th minute to put them in a strong position.

Terengganu were then handed a boost in the 67th minute when the opposition had Ghanaian defender William Mensah sent off and managed to pull one back through a Norfarhan Muhammad effort three minutes later, although Sime Darby ultimately held on for the three points.

Pahang moved up to second and level on points with the leaders following a 3-1 win over Sarawak at the Darulmakmur Stadium.

After a Ronny Harun own-goal had handed Tok Gajah a 30th-minute lead, Damion Stewart doubled their tally on the hour mark before a Hafiz Kamal strike ten minutes later put the result beyond doubt.

Rashid Aya did manage to pull one back for Sarawak but it proved to be a mere consolation as they slumped to their fourth defeat of the season.

Selangor also moved to 13 points following a 1-0 win over Kelantan at the Shah Alam Stadium.

The Red Warriors wasted an excellent chance to take the lead in the 19th minute when Francis Forkey Doe failed to convert from the spot, and were ultimately made to pay as Paulo Rangel scored the winner three minutes later, after Selangor were awarded a penalty of their own following a foul on him by Tuan Faim inside the box.

A late strike from Safee Sali prevented ten-man Johor Darul Ta’zim from falling to a second consecutive defeat as they played out a 1-1 draw with ATM at the Larkin Stadium.

The visitors were on track to victory after Riduwan Ma’on handed them the lead in the 40th minute, before Darul Ta’zim had Baihakki Khaizan sent off in the 66th minute.

But with two minutes remaining, Malaysia international Safee struck his second goal of the season to earn Harimau Selatan a share of the spoil.

Defending champions LIONSXII ended a two-game losing streak after coming from behind to beat Sime Darby 2-1 at the Jalan Besar Stadium.

Nazmi Faiz netted from the edge of the box to put Sime Darby in front in the 31st minute, but a sublime freekick from Zulfahmi Arifin sent both teams into the break level.

And right on the hour mark, Faris Ramli applied the finishing touches to a neat passing move to win it for the LIONSXII.

Finally, T-Team and Perak played out a 1-1 draw in a bottom-of-the-table clash that does neither side any favours.

Following a goalless first half at the Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah Stadium, the visitors edged ahead thanks to a R. Mugenthirran effort in the 79th minute but Ramzul Zahini Adnan equalised three minutes later to force the draw.

Saturday’s Malaysia Super League Results


Pahang 3-1 Sarawak

Selangor 1-0 Kelantan

Johor Darul Ta’zim 1-1 ATM

T-Team 1-1 Perak

Sime Darby 3-2 Terengganu


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s