Penang claim MPL lead after PDRM held by Negeri Sembilan

Penang moved top of the Malaysia Premier League for the first time this season after beating Kedah 1-0 at the Bandaraya Stadium on Monday evening.

Following a goalless first half, the Panthers edged ahead three minutes before the hour mark when South Korean defender Lee Kwang-hyun netted his first goal for the club.

Penang were however dealt a blow in the 74th minute when they were reduced to ten men, although they did enough to keep the visitors at bay and hold out for the three points.

The result was enough to see them move top of the table after previous leaders PDRM were denied for the second game running; playing out a 2-2 draw at home to Negeri Sembilan.

It took the visitors just two minutes to open the scoring at the Petaling Jaya Stadium when Jean-Emmanuel Effa Owona struck his third goal of the campaign, only for Charles Souza Chad to equalise from the spot two minutes after halftime.

Negeri then edged ahead once more when S. Sivanesan scored in the 72nd minute and looked on course for an impressive victory, but Rafael Souza popped up to make it 2-2 seven minutes from time and prevent PDRM from falling to their first defeat of the season.

FELDA United also remain unbeaten and ended a run of three straight draws with a 4-2 win over UiTM FC at the UiTM Stadium.

Although FELDA had taken a third-minute lead after Edward Junior Wilson broke the deadlock, UiTM pulled level thanks to a Obi Ikechukwu Charles effort in the 20th minute.

But six minutes later, Indra Putra Mahayuddin netted to help the visitors reclaim the lead, before Haris Safwan struck in the 38th minute to hand them a two-goal lead at the break.

Obi did manage to find the back of the net again in the 72nd minute to pull one back for the hosts, but their hopes of a late fightback were ended when goalkeeper Norhadi Ubaidillah was sent off in injury-time.

And shortly after, Zah Rahan Krangar made sure of the three points for FELDA by firing home a freekick to cap off a fine display from his side.

Johor Darul Ta’zim II bounced back from last Friday’s 1-0 defeat at Kedah by beating SPA FC 2-0 at the Pasir Gudang Corporation Stadium.

After neither side were able to find the breakthrough in the opening 45, Braulio Nobrega fired JDT II ahead in the 50th minute, before Nicolas Delmonte wrapped up the three points with a second five minutes later.

In Monday’s final game, PBAPP continue to be winless in 2014 after a 2-1 loss at the hands of Perlis in a bottom-of-the-table clash at the Darul Aman Stadium.

Despite taking the lead after two minutes through a strike from Badrulhisani Abdul Rahman, PBAPP  were unable to build on that as Dao Bakary equalised for the hosts with a penalty in the tenth minute.

And just four minutes later, Rosli Muda netted what ultimately proved to be the winner to condemn PBAPP to their sixth defeat of the season.

Monday’s Malaysia Premier League Results

PDRM 2-2 Negeri Sembilan

Perlis 2-1 PBAPP

UiTM FC 2-4 FELDA United

Johor Darul Ta’zim II 2-0 SPA FC

Penang 1-0 Kedah

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s