Champions Buriram bounce back; Muangthong stunned

Reigning champions Buriram United ended a three-game winless streak in the Thai Premier League on Wednesday evening after claiming a 2-0 win over PTT Rayong.

Following a draw with Ratchaburi and defeats to BEC Tero Sasana and Bangkok Glass, the Thunder Castle were desperate to get back to winning ways at the New I-Mobile Stadium.

And they took the lead in the 27th minute after Japanese midfielder Kai Hirano raced through and coolly guided a left-footed shot into the bottom corner, before Carmelo Gonzalez wrapped up the three points seven minutes from time when he curled a terrific freekick in off the bar.

Meanwhile, Muangthong United, who began the day as league leaders, fell to a shock 2-1 defeat at home to Ratchaburi.

The Twin Qilins edged ahead three minutes before halftime when Mario Gjurovski’s low drive was deflected into the back of the net, after Kim Dong-jin had unselfishly laid the ball back into his path.

But a minute from time, Ratchaburi equalised when opposition defender Sarawut Masuk got into a comical mix-up with team-mate Suriya Sangmui and fired the ball into his own net under no apparent pressure, after Heberty’s freekick had come back off the post.

A minute later, the visitors went on to claim all three points to leave Muangthong stunned after Phuwadol Suwannachart broke free down the left and cut onto his right foot, before curling a sublime effort past Kawin Thamsatchanan.

Muangthong’s defeat allowed newly-promoted Singhtarua to move top as they continued their impressive start to the season with a 3-0 win over Samut Songkhram at the PAT Stadium.

The hosts broke the deadlock on the stroke of halftime via a Leandro Oliveira penalty, before Kroekrit Thaweekarn added a second in the 57th minute.

Singhtarua were never at risk of losing their lead and in the final minute, Sarawut Kongchareon found the back of the net to round off the scoring and cap off another fine display from his side.

Chonburi remain unbeaten as they moved two places up to fifth with a last-gasp 3-2 win over Bangkok Glass at the Chonburi Stadium.

It was the Sharks who took the lead just before the break when Kazuto Kushida raced through the middle before firing a 20-yard drive into the bottom corner, but the visitors pulled level a minute after the hour mark; Darko Tasevski exchanging a neat one-two with Teeratep Winothai and easing past a couple of challenges before firing past Sinthaweechai Hathairattanakool.

Tasevski then returned the favour in the 72nd minute when he latched onto Lazarus Kaimbi’s incisive pass and played a pinpoint cross for Teeratep to head home at the far post, but the hosts pulled level in the 88th minute after Chakrit Buathong curled a lovely freekick past Narit Taweekul.

And in the fourth minute of injury-time, Chakrit lined up another freekick but this time sent a cross straight to Thiago Cunha, who was inexplicably left unmarked inside the six-yard box and made no mistake in heading home the winner.

Chonburi are one of four teams yet to taste defeat in 2014, along with Singhtarua, Ratchaburi and BEC Tero Sasana, who were held to a 0-0 draw at Air Force Central.

Over at the Thai Army Sports Stadium, Army United fought back to claim a 2-1 win over Songkhla United, who had been headed for victory after Kayne Vincent fired them ahead after just four minutes.

But four minutes before the break, Tanakorn Dangthong equalised for the hosts, and he went on to net again in injury-time to hand them a second straight triumph.

Elsewhere, Spanish midfielder Gorka Unda scored the only goal of the game in the 20th minute to hand Sisaket a 1-0 victory at home to Police United, while Suphanburi’s two-game winning streak was halted with a 2-0 loss at the hands of Chiangrai United.

Renan Marques found the back of the net for the second game running to hand Chiangrai the lead at the Suphanburi Municipality Stadium in the 22nd minute, before Choklap Nilsang doubled their tally six minutes into the second half.

However, the game ended on a sour note as both sides were reduced to ten men; Suphanburi striker Bireme Diouf shown a second yellow in the 65th minute before Marques followed suit for a second bookable offence six minutes from time.

TOT left it late to stretch their unbeaten run to three games after Supakit Niamkong’s 89th-minute strike earned them a 1-1 draw at Osotspa Saraburi, who had broken the deadlock four minutes after halftime when Chananan Pombuppha struck his first goal of the campaign.

Finally, Bangkok United and Chainat played out a 0-0 draw at the Thai-Japanese Stadium.

Wednesday’s Thai Premier League Results

Army United 2-1 Songkhla United

Osotspa Saraburi 1-1 TOT

Sisaket 1-0 Police United

Suphanburi 0-2 Chiangrai United

Buriram United 2-0 PTT Rayong

Chonburi 3-2 Bangkok Glass

Muangthong United 1-2 Ratchaburi

Singhtarua 3-0 Samut Songkhram

Air Force Central 0-0 BEC Tero Sasana

Bangkok United 0-0 Chainat


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s