Nay Pyi Taw go top of MNL as Yadanarbon held again

Nay Pyi Taw moved top of the Myanmar National League on Friday and stayed there over the weekend following a 3-1 win over Southern Myanmar at the Thuwunna Stadium.

It took Nay Pyi Taw just two minutes to break the deadlock when Nyein Tayzar Win found the back of the net, before Aung Kyaw Naing struck four minutes later to put them two goals to the good.

Tayzar Win then doubled his tally for the evening in the 50th minute to put the result beyond doubt, although Southern Myanmar did manage a consolation seven minutes later through a Zin Myo Win strike.

The victory saw Nay Pyi Taw move top of the table and they stayed there after Yadanarbon were held 1-1 by Manaw Myay on Saturday – their second consecutive draw in a week.

Following a goalless opening 45 at the Thuwunna Stadium, it appeared that Yadanarbon were about to be handed their first defeat of 2014 after Naing Oo Lwin fired Manaw Myay ahead in the 72nd minute.

But eight minutes from time, Edison Fonseca continued his impressive run of form by netting his 11th goal of the campaign to earn his side a share of the spoils.

Yangon United warmed up for Wednesday’s crunch AFC Cup clash against Kelantan with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Chin United at the Yangon United Sports Complex.

The hosts edged ahead in the 38th minute when Myanmar international David Htan pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the box and drilled a left-footed shot into the bottom corner, after his initial effort had been blocked.

Right on the hour mark, Yangon moved further ahead after the visitors’ failure to clear their lines allowed Emerson Luiz Tito to volley home from close range.

Chin United did manage to pull one back two minutes from time when Be Be found the back of the net, but it proved to be too little too late as the Lions held out for the three points.

Although the win briefly saw Yangon climb into the top three, Magway reclaimed third spot on Sunday following a last-gasp 1-0 win at Zwekapin United; Aung Show Thar Maung scoring the winner in the third minute of injury-time.

Elsewhere on Saturday, Kanbawza’s recent resurgence continued at the Bogyoke Aung San Stadium as they made it four games without defeat with a 2-1 victory over bottom side GFA.

Although Tihomir Zivkovic had fired KBZ ahead in the 13th minute, GFA looked to have forced the draw 11 minutes from time when Tial Kulh Sum struck the equaliser.

But four minutes later, Soe Min Oo struck a late goal for the third successive match to hand Kanbawz all three points.

Finally, Ayeyawady United picked up only their third win of 2014 after defeating Zeyar Shwe Myay 2-1 at the Monywa Stadium.

The visitors broke the deadlock in the 38th minute through a Kim Sung-min effort, but Idoko Mathew fired Zeyar Shwe Myay level ten minutes into the second half.

Nonetheless, just as it looked like the points were to be shared, the unfortunate Zaw Lin Tun scored an own-goal to hand Ayeyawady the win.

Friday’s Myanmar National League Results

Southern Myanmar 1-3 Nay Pyi Taw

Saturday’s Myanmar National League Results

GFA 1-2 Kanbawza

Manaw Myay 1-1 Yadanarbon

Zeyar Shwe Myay 1-2 Ayeyawady United

Yangon United 2-1 Chin United

Sunday’s Myanmar National League Results

Zwekapin United 0-1 Magway


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s