Muangthong held by Osotspa; BEC Tero remain second

Thai Premier League leaders Muangthong United were pegged back twice on Saturday and ultimately had to settle for a 2-2 draw against Osotspa Saraburi.

The Twin Qilins had taken the lead at the SCG Stadium three minutes before the half-hour mark when Erik Paartalu had been left unmarked inside the area, and met a corner with a towering header into the bottom corner.

But in the 67th minute, the visitors pulled level after Chananan Pombuppha did well to create space for himself on the edge of the box, before rifling away a shot that flew past Kawin Thamsatchanan at the near post.

Muangthong did manage to reclaim the lead six minutes later after opposition defender Kosawat Wongwalikit – in an attempt to clear Piyaphon Phanichakul’s long throw – could only nod the ball into the path of Teerasil Dangda, leaving the Thailand international with an easy finish.

However, just when it looked like the hosts had done enough for the three points, Aron da Silva climbed high at the near post to meet a cross from Wanmai Sethtanan and send a bullet header into the back of the net to earn Osotspa a share of the spoils.

Despite the draw, Muangthong remain top of the table on goal difference after second-placed BEC Tero Sasana were held to a 2-2 draw by PTT Rayong at the PTT Stadium.

Although finding themselves at the wrong end of the table, it was the Oil Millionaires who drew first blood in the 23rd minute; Amadou Ouattara bursting into the box and unleashing a shot that Todsaporn Sri-reung was unable to keep out despite getting a hand onto.

BEC Tero did manage to respond on the stroke of halftime after their opponents’ failure to clear a corner saw Sho Shimoji react quickest after Ekkaphom Potharungroj had sliced an attempted volley, and instinctively nod home from six yards out.

PTT did show great resolve and edged ahead again six minutes after the hour mark when Ouattara turned provider after breaking free down the right, before cutting the ball back for Narongchai Vachiraban to smash into the far corner.

Nonetheless, the Fire Dragons went on to force the draw in the 77th minute when captain Rangsan Viwatchaichok lined up a freekick on the edge of the box, and proceeded to curl a trademark effort past a hapless Sujin Naknayom.

In what turned out to be an evening of stalemates, title contenders Chonburi went a second game without victory after playing out a 1-1 draw against Chainat at the Chonburi Stadium.

Things could have been worse for them as they fell behind in the 23rd minute after Nikola Nikezic met a left-wing cross with a diving header into the bottom corner to hand Chainat the lead.

The game then turned ugly in the 80th minute when Nikezic and Chonburi defender Suttinan Phuk-hom were sent off following a confrontation.

Still, a minute from time, the Sharks went on to claim a point courtesy of a fine individual effort by Nurul Sriyankem, who received the ball outside the box and burst past two defenders before sending a clinical strike into the far corner.

Over at the United Stadium, Ratchaburi produced a stirring display to come from behind twice and force a 3-3 draw at Chiangrai United.

After Leandro Assumpcao had handed the hosts a 23rd-minute lead with a glancing header off a freekick, they edged further ahead two minutes before halftime when Renan Marques sent a blistering first-time strike from the edge of the area past Ukrit Wongmeema.

Douglas Cardozo reduced the deficit for the Dragons in the 53rd minute when he beat the offside trap and fired away a shot that squirmed under Intharat Apinyakool and over the line, but it looked as though Chiangrai were headed for victory when Marques made it 3-1 with his second of the evening four minutes later.

Yet, Ratchaburi responded once more and pulled one back on the hour mark when Heberty received the ball just inside the box and held off a challenge before sending a left-footed half-volley into the bottom corner.

And six minutes before fulltime, the comeback was completed as Heberty curled a sublime 25-yard freekick into the bottom corner to deny the hosts all three points.

The only side that managed to come away with a win on Saturday were Police United as they stunned high-flying Suphanburi by claiming a 2-0 triumph at the Suphanburi Municipality Stadium.

Having seen the hosts miss an excellent chance to take the lead when Bireme Diouf had a penalty saved in the 38th minute, Police went on to break the deadlock three minutes later after Norihiro Nishi was picked out by Michael Murcy inside the box and curled a lovely effort into the top corner.

Two minutes after the hour mark, Surachart Sareepim went on a terrific run down the left before crossing for Murcy to leave him with the simple task of firing past Umarin Yaodam and to compound Suphanburi’s misery, they finished the game with ten men after Decha Sa-ardchom was sent off in the final minute.

Saturday’s Thai Premier League Results

Suphanburi 0-2 Police United

PTT Rayong 2-2 BEC Tero Sasana

Chonburi 1-1 Chainat

Chiangrai United 3-3 Ratchaburi

Muangthong United 2-2 Osotspa Saraburi


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s