PDRM crowned MPL champions; FELDA seal promotion

PDRM wrapped up the Malaysia Premier League title on Friday with a game to spare after cruising to a 4-0 win over Negeri Sembilan at the Tuanku Abdul Rahman Stadium.

The Cops, who had already booked their place in next season’s Super League, edged ahead after seven minutes thanks to Bobby Gonzales’ opener, before Fauzi Abdul Majid made it 2-0 four minutes before halftime.

The contest was then effectively over in the 49th minute when Ali Ashfaq scored a third – and his 16th of the campaign – for the hosts, and the rout was completed ten minutes after the hour mark when Shahril Izwan Abdullah found the back of the net.

PDRM will be joined in Malaysian football’s top flight by FELDA United, who sealed promotion after recording an emphatic 8-0 win over UiTM FC at the Majlis Perbandaran Selayang Stadium.

The hosts were initially leading by only two goals at the break; Raimi Nor breaking the deadlock in the 20th minute before Edward Junior Wilson doubled their advantage a minute before halftime.

But the floodgates opened in the second half as Wilson claimed his second of the evening in the 47th minute, which was followed by an Indra Putra Mahayuddin strike two minutes after the hour mark.

Ndumba Makeche then added a fifth for FELDA in the 82nd minute and Syahid Zaidon also netted two minutes later, before Indra grabbed two goals in the final two minutes to complete his hat-trick and cap off a dominant display from Irfan Bakti’s charges.

Their victory also ended third-placed Penang’s hopes of promotion after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Kedah at the Darul Aman Stadium.

Following a goalless first half, Hijau-Kuning were initially leading courtesy of Billy Mehmet’s 49th-minute strike but found themselves down to ten men when Adam Griffiths was sent off 15 minutes from time for a second bookable offence.

And two minutes later, Lee Kil-hoon converted from the penalty spot to earn Penang a share of the spoils.

Meanwhile, Johor Darul Ta’zim II kept alive their slim hopes of automatic qualification for the Malaysia Cup after defeating SPA FC 2-1 at the Temerloh Mini Stadium, although they have a far inferior goal difference to fourth-placed Kedah.

SPA did manage to claim the lead when Khairol Azry Abdul Rahman struck on the stroke of halftime, but Singapore captain Shahril Ishak found the equaliser for the visitors in the 73rd minute.

And in the final minute, Nicolas Delmonte popped up with the winner to hand JDT II maximum points.

Over at the Likas Stadium, Predrag Pocuca scored the only goal of the game to hand Sabah a 1-0 win over DRB-Hicom, while the already-relegated duo of PBAPP and Perlis played out a 1-1 draw at the Bandaraya Stadium.

Friday’s Malaysia Premier League Results

Sabah 1-0 DRB-Hicom

FELDA United 8-0 UiTM FC

Kedah 1-1 Penang

Negeri Sembilan 0-4 PDRM

PBAPP 1-1 Perlis

SPA FC 1-2 Johor Darul Ta’zim II


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s