Buriram surge ahead after Muangthong, Chonburi denied

Buriram United moved two points clear at the top of the Thai Premier League on Sunday after claiming a 1-0 win over Samut Songkhram at the Samut Songkhram Stadium.

Although the Thunder Castle were expected to comfortably see off their bottom-placed opponents, they came up against stern resistance and failed to find a way past in the opening 45.

But the breakthrough finally arrived two minutes after the hour mark when Anawin Jujeen found space down the right before floating an excellent cross into the box, where Carmelo Gonzalez proceeded to nod the winner into the bottom corner.

The result allowed Buriram to surge ahead after Muangthong United fell to a shock 2-1 loss to Bangkok Glass at the Leo Stadium.

It took the hosts just six minutes to take the lead when Goshi Okubo slid home at the far post to score on the rebound, after Witsanusak Kaewruang could only parry Wasan Homsaen’s low drive into his path.

However, Muangthong did manage to pull level in the 53rd minute after Narit Taweekul had come off his line but failed to gather a corner, allowing Datsakorn Thonglao to fire a volley into the back of the net.

Still, it was the Glass Rabbits who had the last laugh as they went on to claim maximum points eight minutes from time; Darko Tasevski latching onto Blaze Ilijoski’s neat layoff before firing away a shot that was too hot for Kawin Thamsatchanan to handle.

Chonburi, who began the day level on points with both Buriram and Muangthong, also fell off the pace after being held to a 1-1 draw by Chiangrai United at the United Stadium.

Following a goalless first half, Chiangrai took the lead in the 69th minute after Renan Marques found space inside the box and cut the ball back to Keita Sugimoto, who clinically sent a first-time shot into the far corner.

Nonetheless, the Sharks went on to force the draw six minutes later when Nurul Sriyankem pounced on a poor clearance on the edge of the box, and proceeded to send a volley into the back of the net.

BEC Tero Sasana also moved level with Chonburi on 51 points but find themselves third on the table due to their inferior head-to-head record, following a 2-1 win over Army United at the 72-years Anniversary Stadium.

Gilbert Koomson put the Fire Dragons in front four minutes before the half-hour mark when he burst past two defenders on the edge of the box, before drilling in a shot that squirmed under the body of Sarawut Konglarp and over the line.

And in the 61st minute, the hosts doubled their advantage after Chanathip Songkrasin tried his luck from 20 yards with an effort that took a wicked deflection before making its way into the bottom corner.

Army did manage to pull one back five minutes from time when Chainarong Tathong fired home an emphatic drive from the edge of the box but it proved to be a mere consolation, as BEC Tero held out for the win.

In Sunday’s final game, Songkhla United were leading Osotspa Saraburi 1-0 courtesy of Ekkachai Nuikhao’s 15th-minute strike when they game was abandoned at halftime, due to floodlight failure at the Tinsulanon Stadium.

Sunday’s Thai Premier League Results

Samut Songkhram 0-1 Buriram United

Songkhla United 1-0 Osotspa Saraburi (abandoned at halftime due to floodlight failure)

Bangkok Glass 2-1 Muangthong United

Chiangrai United 1-1 Chonburi

BEC Tero Sasana 2-1 Army United


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s