Buriram rout Suphanburi; big win for Chonburi

Leaders Buriram United maintained their two-point lead at the top of the Thai Premier League on Saturday after claiming an impressive 4-0 win over Suphanburi.

Following a goalless first half at the New I-Mobile Stadium, the hosts broke the lead ten minutes after the break when Suchao Nutnum stooped low to meet Theerathon Bunmathan’s freekick with a back-header into the back corner.

And on the hour mark, their lead was doubled when Javier Patino made the most of a defensive error to lash a shot in off the body of Umarin Yaodam.

The Philippines international then effectively ended the contest as he got in behind Panupong Wongsa and raced into the box, before firing home to make it 3-0.

But Patino was not done yet and went on to cap off a fine display from him and Buriram four minutes from time; beating the offside trap and touching the ball past the onrushing Umarin before slotting into the unguarded net to complete his hat-trick.

Despite the victory, the Thunder Castle failed to extend their lead at the top after Chonburi stayed two points behind with a 4-0 triumph over Samut Songkhram.

The Sharks edged ahead at the Chonburi Stadium a minute before the half-hour mark when Chakrit Buathong scored on the rebound, after Thiago Cunha’s initial effort had been saved by Watchara Buathong.

Four minutes later, it was 2-0 when Thiago broke free down the right and shifted the ball onto his left foot, before bending a shot into the bottom corner.

Thiago was proving to be the star of the show and weighed in with an assist on the hour mark as he raced down the right and played a perfect cross for Juliano Mineiro to slot home from six yards.

And the rout was completed three minutes from time after Pipob On-mo met a lovely first-time cross from Therdsak Chaiman with a looping header into the top corner, rounding off the scoring for Chonburi.

Over at the Thai Army Sports Stadium, Army United got back to winning ways with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Bangkok Glass.

Raphael Botti fired the hosts in front in the 11th minute when he nipped in to win possession off Piyachanok Darit inside the box, before sending an emphatic effort past Narit Taweekul.

Three minutes later, Botti doubled his and his side’s advantage after finding space with a late, darting run into the box and scoring with a firm volley.

The Glass Rabbits did manage to pull one back in the 40th minute when Sarawut Konglarp got into a horrible mix-up with two of his defenders, allowing the ball to bounce all the way through and over the line.

However, they were just unable to find an equaliser as Army held out for a much-needed three points.

Meanwhile, Bangkok United continued their fine recent form after beating Songkhla United 5-2 to climb three spots up to eighth on the table.

It was Songkhla who drew first blood at the Thai-Japanese Stadium after 12 minutes when Renan Silva intercepted a poor clearance by Warut Mekmusik, and coolly curled a left-footed shot into the back of the net.

Nonetheless, the hosts equalised two minutes after the half-hour mark when Korawit Narmwiset was left with a simple header at the back post after Milos Bogunovic’s freekick had been touched into his path.

Mike Temwanjera then put them ahead in the 41st minute when Mike Temwanjera steered a shot into the far corner after a neat cross from Ekkachai Sumrei, before it became 3-1 just before halftime when Sebastian Svard could only put the ball into his own goal after attempting to clear a Bogunovic corner.

Ekkachai then got in on the act by netting United’s fourth a minute before the hour mark when he ran onto Romain Gasmi’s incisive pass and skipped inside Sakeereen Teekasom, before sending a shot through Nantapol Supathai’s legs.

And the Bangkok Angels all but ended the contest in the 74th minute Temwanjera grabbed his second of the evening; nodding home a right-wing cross from Phonlawut Donjui at the back post.

Songkhla did manage to reduce the arrears three minutes from time when Muzafer Ejupi raced through to score but it proved to be a mere consolation, as their opponents went on to claim a deserved victory.

In Saturday’s final match, Air Force Central caused a real upset as they beat ten-man Chiangrai United 1-0 at the Thupatemee Stadium.

The only goal of the game came after just five minutes when Bang Seung-hwan met Thossapol Yodchan’s precise cross with a thumping header home.

Any hopes Chiangrai had of pulling off a comeback were extinguished six minutes from the end when Choklap Nilsang was sent off for a second bookable offence, capping off a miserable night for his side.

Saturday’s Thai Premier League Results

Buriram United 4-0 Suphanburi

Air Force Central 1-0 Chiangrai United

Chonburi 4-0 Samut Songkhram

Bangkok United 5-2 Songkhla United

Army United 2-1 Bangkok Glass

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s