Muangthong held by Chiangrai; BEC Tero drop points again

Muangthong United missed the chance to pull level at the top of the Thai Premier League on Saturday after being held to a 2-2 draw by Chiangrai United.

Following a goalless first half at the United Stadium, it was the Twin Qilins who drew first blood four minutes after the hour mark when Kim Dong-jin appeared to get the faintest of touches to a Datsakorn Thonglao freekick to put the ball into the back of the net.

But in the 73rd minute, the hosts pulled level after capitalising on an error in judgement by Kawin Thamsatchanan as the opposition keeper failed to get a hand to Leandro Assumpcao’s freekick, leaving Fernando Abreu with a simple tap-in at the far post.

Chiangrai then took the lead six minutes before time when Aritz Borda, in an attempt to intercept Renan Marques’ low cross, could only stab the ball into his own goal.

However, a minute later, Mario Gjurovski met Datsakorn’s brilliant lofted pass with a header into the top corner to earn the visitors a share of the spoils.

Although the late equaliser meant Muangthong avoided falling to a costly defeat, they could find themselves five points behind Buriram United should the league leaders manage a victory on Sunday.

Meanwhile, fourth-placed BEC Tero Sasana also failed to gain maximum points after being held to a 0-0 draw by Osotspa Saraburi at the 72-years Anniversary Stadium.

The Fire Dragons now find themselves four points of the pace after going a second league game without victory, after last week’s shock 3-2 defeat to Sisaket.

Over at the Dragons Arena, Ratchaburi claimed a much-needed result as they beat high-flying Bangkok United 3-0 to claim only their second win in 12 games in all competition.

The hosts edged ahead in the 27th minute when Heberty lined up a freekick 25 yards out and curled a sublime effort into the top corner, before Genki Nagasato doubled their lead on the half-hour mark when found the back of the net with a powerful header.

Nagasato then effectively ended the contest when he netted a third for his side with a close-range finish on the stroke of halftime, and Bangkok United’s miserable evening was compounded in the 58th minute when they had Wichaya Dechmitr sent off for a second bookable offence.

Meanwhile, Bangkok Glass climbed two spots up to ninth after recording a 2-1 victory over Sisaket at the Leo Stadium.

The Glass Rabbits broke the deadlock five minutes after the hour mark when Goshi Okubo scored with a free header at the back post, after Darko Tasevski’s corner had been nodded on into his path.

Nonetheless, Sisaket equalised four minutes later when Siwapong Jareansin’s long-range strike took a wicked deflection being bouncing past a wrong-footed Narit Taweekul.

Still, it was the hosts who looked the more dominant of the two sides and they went on to claim all three points in the 75th minute; Tasevski pouncing on a loose ball on the edge of the box before clinically drilling a first-time effort into the bottom corner.

In Saturday’s final game, Manop Sornkaew scored the only goal of the game in the 33rd minute to help Songkhla United beat Chainat 1-0 at the Tinsulanon Stadium.

Saturday’s Thai Premier League Results

Chiangrai United 2-2 Muangthong United

Songkhla United 1-0 Chainat

Bangkok Glass 2-1 Sisaket

Ratchaburi 3-0 Bangkok United

BEC Tero Sasana 0-0 Osotspa Saraburi


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s