Chonburi down leaders Buriram; Muangthong close in

Chonburi are now just one point behind Buriram United in the Thai Premier League after claiming a 1-0 win over the leaders on Wednesday evening.

In a top-of-the-table clash at the Chonburi Stadium, it was Buriram who enjoyed the better of proceedings but they were just unable to carve out a clear-cut scoring opportunity.

And a minute from time, they were left stunned as the Sharks went on to steal the win after Suttinun Phuk-hom climbed highest at the near post to meet Korakod Wiriyaudomsiri’s freekick with a glancing header that Sivaruck Tedsungnoen was just unable to keep out.

The win means Chonburi are now just one point off the top of the table, although the Thunder Castle have the better head-to-head record between the two sides.

Meanwhile, Muangthong United are only a further point behind in third position following a 3-0 win over bottom side Samut Songkhram.

The Twin Qilins took the lead at the SCG Stadium six minutes after the half-hour mark, when Mario Gjurovski lined up a 30-yard freekick and fired away an effort that crept in at the bottom corner.

Muangthong then doubled their tally in the 70th minute when Aritz Borda ghosted in at the far post to meet Datsakorn Thonglao’s right-wing delivery, and found the back of the net with a well-controlled volley.

Right before the clocked ticked over into injury-time, the hosts went on to seal the victory after being awarded a penalty; Cleiton Silva making no mistake from 12 yards to complete the rout.

There was however now such joy for fourth-placed BEC Tero Sasana after they were held to a 0-0 draw by Bangkok United at the Thai-Japanese Stadium.

Army United climbed three spots up to fifth after recording a 3-1 triumph over Chiangrai United at the Thai Army Sports Stadium.

A Renan Marques own-goal handed the hosts the lead after 23 minutes, only for Chiangrai to respond six minutes after the hour mark when Seeket Madputeh put the ball past his own goalkeeper as well.

Nonetheless, Army managed to regain the advantage through a Anuwat Noichernphan strike in the 70th minute, before Nipol Kamthong wrapped things up with a third in injury-time.

Along with Chiangrai, Ratchaburi were also victims of Army’s rise as they fell one spot down after playing out a 2-2 draw with Chainat at the Khao Plong Stadium.

Although Sumanya Purisay had fired Chainat into an 11th-minute lead, Heberty notched his 19th goal of the campaign to ensure both sides entered the break level on the scoreboard.

Ratchaburi then hit the front when Juan Quero scored in the 58th minute but six minutes later, Jules Baga struck to earn the hosts a share of the spoils.

Suphanburi’s struggle for form continued as they went a third game without victory after falling to a shock 2-0 loss to relegation-threatened Air Force Central at the Thupatmee Stadium.

Air Force broke the deadlock in the 53rd minute when Thossaphol Yodchan pounced on a clearance on the edge of the box, and proceeded to send a stunning volley into the far corner.

And 15 minutes from time, an error from Suphanburi keeper Umarin Yaodam wrapped up the points for the hosts as he inexplicably spilled a harmless freekick from Bang Seung-hwan into the back of his own net.

Another side that have been plagued with inconsistency all season long are Bangkok Glass and they had to settle for a 1-1 draw against Osotspa Saraburi at the Rajamangala National Stadium.

The Glass Rabbits had been on course for victory after breaking the deadlock in the fourth minute; Blaze Ilijoski racing down the left before unleashing a shot that was too hot for Chatchai Budprom to handle.

However, just two minutes later, Osotspa netted the goal that proved enough for a point as Hiromichi Katano’s cross was nodded by Chananan Pombuppha into the path of Aron da Silva, who sent an unstoppable first-time shot into the top corner.

Over at the PAT Stadium, Police United finally managed to end a run of five consecutive draws with a 1-0 triumph over Singhtarua, who fell to their fifth straight loss in the process.

After both sides had failed to find the breakthrough in the opening 45, it was Michael Murcy who emerged as the hero for Police – heading home a corner in the 62nd minute to win it for his side.

Finally, Wichan Nanthasri’s 72nd-minute strike helped TOT beat Songkhla United 1-0 at the TOT Stadium Chaeng Watthana, while Sisaket and PTT Rayong played out a 0-0 draw at the Sri Nakhon Lamduan Stadium.

Wednesday’s Thai Premier League Results

Army United 3-1 Chiangrai United

Chainat 2-2 Ratchaburi

Osotspa Saraburi 1-1 Bangkok Glass

Air Force Central 2-0 Suphanburi

Chonburi 1-0 Buriram United

Muangthong United 3-0 Samut Songkhram

Singhtarua 0-1 Police United

Sisaket 0-0 PTT Rayong

Bangkok United 0-0 BEC Tero Sasana

TOT 1-0 Songkhla United


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s