Chonburi held by Singhtarua; Ratchaburi break into top five

Chonburi moved back into second place in the Thai Premier League on Sunday despite being held to a 1-1 draw by Singhtarua at the Chonburi Stadium.

Following a goalless first half, it was the Sharks who took the lead on the hour mark when their opponents’ failure to clear their lines allowed Thiago Cunha to smash home a loose ball, after Nattapol Krobyoo had parried Suttinun Phuk-hom’s initial effort back into the danger area.

But three minutes later, Singhtarua went on to claim a share of the spoils after Predrag Sikimic had out-jumped Sinthaweechai Hathairattanakool and nodded the ball to Ekaphan Inthasen, who fired home the equaliser from six yards.

Despite claiming just a point for their efforts, Chonburi were able to overtake Muangthong United in second place and are now three points behind leaders Buriram United.

Meanwhile, Ratchaburi climbed three spots up to fifth after claiming a 1-0 win over TOT at the Dragons Arena.

The only goal of the game came just before halftime when Fabio Lopes made no mistake in netting from two yards, after Heberty’s 20-yard drive had been unconvincingly saved by Weera Koedpudsa.

Over at the Samut Songkhram Stadium, Army United threw away a two-goal advantage as they were held to a 2-2 draw by bottom side Samut Songkhram.

The visitors had edged ahead on the half-hour mark when Nipol Kamthong scored with a stunning 25-yard strike, before Raphael Botti made it 2-0 five minutes later when he met a right-wing cross with a clinical finish into the back of the net.

However, Samut Songkhram pulled one back in the 68th minute when Sarif Sainui broke free inside the area and skipped past the onrushing Sarawut Konglarp, before firing into the unguarded goal.

And as the clock ticked over into injury-time, the Raging Mackerel completed a remarkable comeback as Peemvit Thongnitiroth found space on the edge of the box and curled a fantastic effort into the top corner to equalise for his side.

Elsewhere, Bangkok Glass also left it late to earn a point as they forced a 1-1 draw against Bangkok United at the Leo Stadium.

It looked as though the visitors were on course for a win after edging ahead in the 80th minute when Milos Bogunovic slotted home on the rebound, after Ekkachai Sumrei had been denied in a one-on-one situation by Narit Taweekul.

Nonetheless, deep into injury-time, the Glass Rabbits pulled level when Chatree Chimtale’s long-range drive took a deflection and broke to Phuritad Jarikanon, who coolly finished into the bottom corner.

In Sunday’s final game, second-from-bottom PTT Rayong gave their hopes of avoiding relegation a huge boost by beating Osotspa Saraburi 2-1 at the PTT Stadium.

Yves Desmarets put the hosts in front after eight minutes when he received possession on the edge of the box and fired a left-footed shot into the bottom corner.

And in the 21st minute, PTT doubled their advantage after another strike from distance from Desmarets was spilled by Chatchai Budprom; Rufinho Sanchez reacting quickest to poke home the rebound.

Osotspa did manage to pull one back four minutes after the hour mark when Anthony Moura-Komenan slipped a neat ball through to Aron da Silva, who lashed an unstoppable strike in off the bar.

Still, the visitors were just unable to find an equaliser as the Oil Millionaires held out for a much-needed victory.

Sunday’s Thai Premier League Results

PTT Rayong 2-1 Osotspa Saraburi

Ratchaburi 1-0 TOT

Chonburi 1-1 Singhtarua

Samut Songkhram 2-2 Army United

Bangkok Glass 1-1 Bangkok United


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s