PDRM book quarter-final berth; Selangor fall to shock loss

PDRM are the first team through to the quarter-finals of the Malaysia Cup after sealing a top-two finish in Group D with a 2-1 win over T-Team on Wednesday.

Ali Ashfaq fired the Cops ahead at the Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah Stadium from the penalty spot in the 19th minute, although Jimmy Mulisa equalised for T-Team seven minutes into the second half.

But Ashfaq struck once more in the 86th minute to restore PDRM’s lead, before any hopes the hosts had of forcing a draw late on were effectively ended when they had Faizal Muhammad sent off in injury-time.

Selangor remain second in the group but are now just three points away from the bottom two following a shock 2-1 loss to Sime Darby, who claimed their first points of the campaign in the process.

Following a goalless first half at the Shah Alam Stadium, it was the Red Giants who broke the deadlock two minutes after the hour mark when Ahmad Hazwan Bakri found the back of the net for the second time in two matches.

However, Fahrul Razi Kamaruddin equalised for Sime Darby in the 76th minute, before Mateo Roskam struck seven minutes later to win it for his side.

Over in Group B, Perak remain top and ahead of Terengganu on goal difference after both sides played out a 1-1 draw at the Perak Stadium.

A Vincent Bikana own-goal three minutes after the break initially looked like it was going to be enough to hand Perak maximum points, until Ahmad Nordin Alias popped up to score and force the draw for the Turtles with just three minutes remaining.

And finally, Kedah remain firmly in the running to progress to the last eight as they remain one point behind both Perak and Terengganu after a 2-1 victory over bottom side Sarawak at the Darul Aman Stadium.

The Crocs had drawn first blood in the 21st minute when S. Chanturu raced onto Ryan Griffiths’ through-ball and finished past Saiful Amar Sudar.

Nonetheless, they then had Junior Eldstal sent off four minutes after the half-hour mark after he got into a confrontation with Kedah’s Hashim Shafizan, who was also issued his marching orders.

Still, it was Kedah who reacted better to going a man down and Billy Mehmet fired them level six minutes after halftime, before Sarawak were reduced to nine men when Gabor Gyepes also saw red in the 80th minute

And in injury-time, Hijau-Kuning made the most of their numerical advantage as they went on to claim the win after Syazwan Tajudin found the back of the net.

Wednesday’s Malaysia Cup Results

Group B

Kedah 2-1 Sarawak

Perak 1-1 Terengganu

Group D

T-Team 1-2 PDRM

Selangor 1-2 Sime Darby


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s