Warriors down Tampines to move into second spot

Warriors FC climbed into second on the S.League table on Friday evening after claiming a 2-0 win over Tampines Rovers at the Jalan Besar Stadium.

Agu Casmir fired the Warriors ahead after 13 minutes, before Thomas Beattie added a second two minutes before the half-hour mark to wrap up the three points for his side.

The result was also enough to help Alex Weaver’s charges move two points behind DPMM FC with just five games remaining, although the league leaders now have a game in hand.

On Thursday, Albirex Niigata (S) produced a stunning comeback to overturn a three-goal deficit and beat Geylang International 4-3 at the Bedok Stadium.

The Eagles had taken a 16th-minute lead when Kento Fukuda smashed the ball home from a yard out, after opposition keeper Kenjiro Ogino had spilled a routine coach right in front of his goal.

And five minutes after the half-hour mark, another fumble by Ogino saw him fail to gather a low cross by Mustaqim Manzur to leave Leonel Felice with a simple tap-in.

Five minutes later, it looked as though the three points were in the bag for Geylang when they scored a third as Fukuda netted his second of the evening on the rebound, after Yuki Ichikawa’s initial effort had been saved.

However, Albirex managed to pull one back a minute before halftime when Kazuki Sakamoto received the ball on the edge of the box and drilled an unstoppable shot in off the bar.

Two minutes before the hour mark, the deficit was reduced further as Koki Akasaka cut in from the left and fired away a shot that took a wicked deflection and crept past Joey Sim at his near post.

Remarkably, the scores were then level in the 69th minute when Keisuke Ota reacted quickest after the hosts had failed to deal with a corner, and volleyed home the equaliser from close range.

Having done brilliantly to claw their way back into the game, the White Swans’ epic fightback was then completed in the final minute centre-back Norihiro Kawakami popped up at the other end to meet a left-wing cross with a glancing header into the bottom corner.

In Thursday’s other game, Courts Young Lions climbed out of the bottom two at the expense of Woodlands Wellington after recording a shock 3-0 win over Home United at the Bishan Stadium.

Following a goalless first half, Aide Iskandar’s side took the lead nine minutes after the break when Shameer Aziq emphatically planted a shot past Shahril Jantan after being slipped through by Jordan Webb.

The Protectors were then reduced to ten men in the 79th minute when Yasir Hanapi was sent off for a second bookable offence, and the visitors made the most of the numerical advantage three minutes later after Sahil Suhaimi pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the box and curled a shot into the bottom corner.

In injury-time, the Young Lions went on to seal the win as they hit Home on the counter; Webb embarking on a blistering run from the edge of his own box and rounding Shahril before slotting into the unguarded net.

Friday’s S.League Results

Warriors FC 2-0 Tampines Rovers

Thursday’s S.League Results

Geylang International 3-4 Albirex Niigata (S)

Home United 0-3 Courts Young Lions


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s