Persipura booted out of AFC Cup by dominant Al Qadsia

Persipura Jayapura had their AFC Cup dream come to an end after Tuesday’s 6-0 loss to Al Qadsia saw them fall to a 10-2 aggregate defeat in the semi-finals.

Despite entering the second leg at the Mandala Stadium trailing 4-2 on aggregate, Persipura could take heart not only from the fact that they had two away goals to their name, but also given the way they had overcome a deficit to see off Kuwait SC in the quarters.

However, they fell behind after just six minutes when Saif Al Hashan netted with a sweetly-struck volley from ten yards out, before Bader Al Mutawa added a second in the 33rd minute after skipping past a challenge on the edge of the box and bending his shot into the far corner.

By now, the hosts needed a minor miracle if they were to mount a comeback and things got worse four minutes before the hour mark when Al Mutawa’s cross was deflected by Yoo Jae-hoon only as far as Saleh Al Sheikh, who made no mistake in smashing the loose ball home.

Al Mutawa then grabbed his second of the afternoon in the 73rd minute when he embarked on a blistering run down the right and advanced into the box, before sending an emphatic strike into the back of the net from a tight angle.

Despite their spot in the final all but secured, the visitors showed no signs of letting up and made it 5-0 two minutes later; Fahad Al Ansari getting in on the act as he latched onto Al Mutawa’s incisive through-ball and coolly slotted past Yoo.

And in the second minute of injury-time, the rout was completed as Al Sheikh beat the offside trap and raced through, before cutting back onto his right foot and netting with a cheeky lob.

Al Qadsia’s opponents in the final – to be held on October 18 – will be Iraq’s Erbil, who beat Kitchee 2-1 at the Mong Kok Stadium to claim a 3-2 victory on aggregate.

The visitors got off to a dream start as they broke the deadlock after just three minutes; Ali Faez lining up a 25-yard freekick and firing away a fairly tame effort that somehow crept past Wang Zhenpeng at the far post.

Six minutes later, Erbil added a second when Amjad Radhi was picked out inside the box by an excellent delivery from Luay Salah and clinically planted his header into the back of the net.

Kitchee managed to pull one back in the 69th minute when Gao Wen slotted home from close range after Jalal Hassan had flapped at Lam Ka Wai’s corner, but it proved to be a mere consolation as their opponents held out for the win.

Tuesday’s AFC Cup Semi-final Second Leg Results

Persipura Jayapura 0-6 Al Qadsia (2-10 on aggregate)

Kitchee 1-2 Erbil (2-3 on aggregate)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s