Muangthong up to third; Bangkok Glass throw it away

Muangthong United tentatively moved up to third in the Thai Premier League on Saturday evening after beating Singhtarua 3-1 at the SCG Stadium.

It was Singhtarua who had taken the lead after Ikechukwu Kalu found the back of the net on the half-hour mark, but Sarach Yooyen fired the Twin Qilins level in the 64th minute.

Just three minutes later, Muangthong edged ahead courtesy of a Wuttichai Tathong strike, before Cleiton Silva scored in injury-time to make sure of the win.

Over at the Leo Stadium, a stunning meltdown by Bangkok Glass saw them fall to a 3-2 defeat to Songkhla United, who claimed their first win in six matches in the process.

The Glass Rabbits appeared to be cruising to victory when Lazarus Kaimbi fired them ahead after six minutes, before doubling his and his side’s tally in the 19th minute.

However, Kayne Vincent pulled one back three minutes after the half-hour mark and the visitors were remarkably level four minutes before halftime when the New Zealander also grabbed his second of the evening.

Both sides did create their fair share of chances in the second half but it was Songkhla who went on to win it in the 70th minute; Muzafer Ejupi scoring to help his team claim a memorable come-from-behind triumph.

There was also a five-goal thriller at the Suphanburi Municipality Stadium and it was Suphanburi who emerged as the victors after defeating Bangkok United 3-2, ensuring they got back to winning ways after a 1-0 loss to Osotspa Saraburi on Wednesday.

Although Bjorn Lindemann had broken the deadlock for the hosts after five minutes, Mike Temwanjera equalised on the stroke of halftime to ensure both sides went into the break level on the scoreboard.

Lindemann was looming as Suphanburi’s biggest threat and he struck once more in the 66th minute, before completing his hat-trick with ten minutes remaining to put them two goals to the good.

Again, Bangkok United fought back and reduced the deficit four minutes later through an Anthony Ampaipitakwong effort, although the War Elephants were ultimately able to hold out for maximum points.

Meanwhile, PTT Rayong gave their bid to avoid relegation a huge boost after recording a 3-1 win over fellow strugglers Police United at the PTT Stadium.

Kirati Keawsombat opened the scoring for the hosts in the 32nd minute, and they doubled their advantage nine minutes into the second half courtesy of an Amadou Ouattara strike.

By the time Prathan Mansiri added a third in the 65th minute, the contest was effectively over although Police did manage an injury-time consolation off the boot of Michael Murcy.

Finally, TOT went a third game without victory although it was not the worst result they could have hoped for at the United Stadium as they held high-flying Chiangrai United to a 1-1 draw.

Panupong Poonsa was the hero for TOT as he equalised to earn them a share of the spoils two minutes after the half-hour mark, after Leandro Assumpcao had fired the hosts in front in the seventh minute.

Saturday’s Thai Premier League Results

Chiangrai United 1-1 TOT

PTT Rayong 3-1 Police United

Suphanburi 3-2 Bangkok United

Muangthong United 3-1 Singhtarua

Bangkok Glass 2-3 Songkhla United


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s