Buriram seal second consecutive Thai Premier League title

Buriram United were crowned champions of the Thai Premier League for the second year running after recording a 2-1 win over Police United on Sunday evening.

Carmelo Gonzalez fired the hosts ahead at the New I-Mobile Stadium after nine minutes, before Police were dealt a real blow when Adun Muensamaan was sent off four minutes after the hour mark.

Buriram made the most of their numerical advantage when David Rochela doubled their lead two minutes later, and although Surachart Sareepim pulled one back for the visitors in the 68th minute, it proved to be a mere consolation as their opponents held out for maximum points.

Having entered Sunday’s final round of matches with a one-point lead at the top of the table, the victory was enough to guarantee the Thunder Castle their fourth TPL crown ahead of second-placed Chonburi, who were held to a 1-1 draw by TOT at the Chonburi Stadium.

It initially looked as though the Sharks were going to keep the pressure on Buriram when Thiago Cunha put them in front in the 23rd minute, but a Suttinun Phuk-hom own-goal three minutes before the hour mark was enough to hand the visitors a share of the spoils.

Both results also had a significant impact at the other end of the table as it meant Police were relegated to the Division 1 League due to their inferior head-to-head record with TOT, after both sides finished level on 43 points.

Over at the SCG Stadium, there was also a disappointing end to the campaign for Muangthong United as they were beaten 3-2 by Bangkok United.

It was the visitors who got off to a flying start after Romain Gasmi opened the scoring for them in the seventh minute, before Milos Bogunovic added a second eight minutes later.

However, Cleiton Silva pulled one back for the Twin Qilins nine minutes before halftime, and it looked as though they had completed a remarkable comeback when Milan Bubalo equalised in the 78th minute.

But with three minutes remaining, Leandro Tatu popped up with the winner to hand Bangkok United an impressive victory.

The result, coupled with a nine-point deduction imposed on them following fan violence earlier in the season, meant Muangthong finished a disappointing fifth on the table.

BEC Tero Sasana benefitted from their fall down the rankings as they sealed a top-three finish, despite falling to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Chiangrai United.

Although Anon Sangsanoi had broken the deadlock for the hosts at the United Stadium in the 24th minute, it took the Fire Dragons just three minutes to level the scores after Chanathip Songkrasin found the back of the net.

However, Renan Marques struck in the 90th minute to help Chiangrai reclaim their lead and they managed to hold out for the win, even though they had Phichitphong Choeichiu sent off in injury-time for a second bookable offence.

Ratchaburi capped off a fine season in style as they cruised to a 4-0 triumph over Samut Songkhram at the Samut Songkhram Stadium to wrap up fourth spot – their best-ever finish in their history.

There was never really any doubt that the Dragons were headed for a comfortable win against their bottom-placed opponents, after a Fabio Lopes first-half brace had put them in a strong position at the interval.

Still, they showed no signs of letting up and Apiwat Ngaolamhin made it 3-0 in the 50th minute, before the rout was completed when Genki Nagasato scored right at the end.

Sixth place went to Suphanburi as Bjorn Lindemann struck the only goal of the game in the 24th minute to hand them a 1-0 win over Songkhla United at the Suphanburi Municipality Stadium.

Elsewhere, already-relegated PTT Rayong salvaged some pride as they signed off from the top flight with a 2-1 victory over Bangkok Glass at the PTT Stadium.

Amadou Ouattara fired the Oil Millionaires ahead in the 17th minute, before doubling his and his side’s tally two minutes into the second half.

Bangkok Glass reduced the deficit via a Darko Tasevski penalty in the 52nd minute but they were just unable to force the draw, allowing their opponents to hang on for the win.

Meanwhile, Singhtarua’s strong finish to the year was concluded with a third consecutive win after they beat Sisaket 3-1 at the PAT Stadium.

After the hosts had drawn first blood through a Hironori Saruta strike in the 23rd minute, Warut Sap-So found the back of the net to put them two goals to the good at halftime.

The contest was then effectively ended in the 59th minute when Predrag Sikimic made it 3-0, although Sisaket did grab a consolation effort through Jakkapong Somboon with eight minutes left on the clock.

Finally, second-half goals from Ernesto Amantegui and Lee Hyun-jin handed Army United a 2-0 win over Osotspa Saraburi at the Thai Army Sports Stadium, while Air Force Central played out a 0-0 draw with Chainat at the Thupatemee Stadium.

Sunday’s Thai Premier League Results

Air Force Central 0-0 Chainat

Army United 2-0 Osotspa Saraburi

Buriram United 2-1 Police United

Chiangrai United 2-1 BEC Tero Sasana

Chonburi 1-1 TOT

Muangthong United 2-3 Bangkok United

PTT Rayong 2-1 Bangkok Glass

Samut Songkhram 0-4 Ratchaburi

Singhtarua 3-1 Sisaket

Suphanburi 1-0 Songkhla United

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s