Suphanburi down Muangthong; BEC Tero falter again

Suphanburi issued a real statement of intent in the Thai Premier League on Saturday after beating Muangthong United 2-1 at the Suphanburi Municipality Stadium.

Following a goalless first half, the hosts broke the deadlock in the 55th minute when Jakkapan Pornsai netted – his fifth goal in six matches – against his former club, before Indonesia international Sergio van Dijk doubled their lead three minutes later.

Muangthong pulled one back in the 71st minute when Mario Gjurovski netted with a powerful header but they were just unable to find an equaliser, and ultimately fell to their first defeat of the campaign.

The result was also enough to tentatively send Suphanburi top of the table, although both Army United and Bangkok Glass could overtake them with victories on Sunday.

Meanwhile, BEC Tero Sasana, who were tipped by many to challenge for top honours with their star-studded squad, continued to flatter to deceive as they lost 3-1 to Bangkok United at the Thai-Japanese Stadium.

Ekkachai Sumrei fired the hosts in front after 11 minutes and added a second six minutes after the half-hour mark, although BEC Tero captain Rangsan Viwatchaichok was able to reduce the deficit from the penalty spot six minutes before halftime.

Nonetheless, the Fire Dragons’ hopes of levelling the scores were dealt a real blow with five minutes remaining when left-back Peerapat Notechaiya was sent off for a second bookable offence, and Romain Gasmi went on to wrap up the three points for Bangkok United in injury-time when he was left with a simple tap-in for their third of the evening.

Saturday’s defeat means BEC Tero have won just one of their opening six matches and they could find themselves up to ten points off the pace by the end of the weekend.

Meanwhile, Navy finally recorded their first win at the sixth time of asking after beating fellow new boys Saraburi 2-0 at the Sattahip Navy Stadium.

After opening the scoring for Navy in the 63rd minute, Paraguayan forward Anggello Machuca struck again with eight minutes left on the clock to seal the win for the hosts.

Finally, Sisaket got back to winning ways after recording a 2-1 triumph over struggling Port at the Sri Nakhon Lamduan Stadium.

Kittipong Wongma put Sisaket ahead after a lovely turn and finish in the 28th minute, before Lyuben Nikolov made it 2-0 with a close-range effort six minutes after the hour mark.

Port were able to reduce the arrears with a minute to go through a Rachanon Srinok strike, although it ultimately proved to be a mere consolation as their opponents went on to claim maximum points.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s